Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Great-Grammy and Grammy Crafts - Braided Wool Rug

Maybe the best kind of crafts. The rags were cut up by my grandmother, a truly amazing lady who could do anything artistic she took a mind to, and who helped teach me to sew. My mother braided and coiled it, and I worked a bit on the last loop, decided it looked done, and have finally steamed the folds out and put it down at the foot of our bed. With the sun streaming in ... ahhh. I must have taken this photo on the only kitty-free day this week, the sunbeams are usually where they like to sprawl.

What are you thankful for this week? For hints on interviewing your loved ones on the National Day of Listening (Friday) check out the Story Corps site: http://storycorps.org/

Happy Thanksgiving!


Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful, a true work of art. I have always wanted to make something like this. How long did it take?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, my grandmother died 30 years ago and had cut up the wool before she passed. My mother braided 90% of the rug and gave it to me to finish about 10 years ago. I think it took her a couple of years on and off. Amanda Soule has tons of braided wool rugs in her house and I saw a neat crocheted one online recently, so it got me thinking. Now when I see all our bare floors I think about getting out the big suitcase with the rest of the cut wool and a big hook. I have been advised to make sure to freeze the wool first to kill any moth eggs, so it will have to wait until it gets below freezing at night so I can leave the suitcase out in the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to mention that the cutting is probably the part that takes longest, and that according to Soulemama you don't need it all cut at the outset, you can focus on colors and cut as you go. The braiding is simple and meditative. You do need to start coiling the rug as you braid or it can be difficult to force the straight braid to curve around itself.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails